POP! Three letters that announce a new beginning...
Introducing POP, Paris Opera Play, the Paris Opera's new streaming platform.
As of 29 March 2023, the House will offer all its audiences – be they aficionados or novices - to watch and re-watch Paris Opera performances online. POP is accessible throughout France and internationally and on all types of screens. POP is the benchmark platform for all lovers of the Paris Opera, today and tomorrow.
- Rich in content. Live performances, exclusive contents (documentaries and masterclasses) and a catalogue that will offer nearly 80 titles supplemented regularly.
- Immersive. Multiple features and optimal viewing comfort to dive into the making of the show: high definition videos, close-up views, rewinds, chaptering by act, subtitles in English and French.
- Accessible. POP is a venue for live performances for all audiences who are geographically, physically and financially excluded.
POP offers several subscription options:
- a monthly subscription (€9.90; €4.95 for under 28s) or an annual subscription (€99) with a seven-day free trial is available to discover the platform.
- the possibility of renting live performances outside the subscription period (€14.90) for viewers who only wish to watch live performances
THE FIRST LIVE PERFORMANCES ON POP
The POP experience
POP takes advantage of the possibilities offered by digital technology to provide its subscribers with a new experience of the stage: excellent content and an optimized user experience.
HELP IN DISCOVERING WORKS
POP allows the viewer to explore all facets of a performance through a trailer, description of the work, summary of each act, and biographies of the artists involved. All operas in the catalog have subtitles in English and French.
AN IMMERSIVE VIEWING EXPERIENCE, POWERFUL FEATURES
POP offers High Definition footage, close-ups and usually inaccessible angles of view, particularly enhanced on the big screen.
For live performances, POP's start over feature allows you to resume playback from the beginning so that not a second is lost.
ADDITIONAL CONTENT AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Exclusive bonuses are offered for most of the performances: librettos, interviews, behind-the-scenes features, allowing users to discover every aspect of the making of a particular production... They can also find recommendations for other productions matching their interests and likely to appeal to them. Finally, the editorial team and guest personalities will propose playlists allowing users to discover the catalogue from different angles (Neo-classical ballets, Contemporary works, Arias from Italy, Alexander Neef's selection, etc.).
The Paris Opera is also working to make the consultation of its online services more ergonomic for people with disabilities. POP has been designed in compliance with accessibility standards to enable the disabled to better experience, appreciate and interact with the site.
The POP offer
THREE POP SUBSCRIPTION PACKAGES ARE AVAILABLE:
- A monthly subscription at €9.90
- An annual subscription for €99
- A monthly subscription for young people (under 28) at €4.95
FLEXIBLE SUBSCRIPTIONS AT ATTRACTIVE RATES
All subscriptions give unlimited access to the platform's entire catalogue, and include live broadcasts. There is no commitment, and a 7-day free trial is offered to discover the platform. Paris Opera subscribers benefit from a 50% discount on the POP subscription. Individual rentals of live performances are still possible for €14.90.
AN IMMERSIVE VIEWING EXPERIENCE AND POWERFUL FEATURES
PC and Mac, mobiles, Android and Apple tablets, TV via Chromecast and Airplay: POP will be available on all these screens. Two screens can be connected simultaneously with the same account. The season's new productions presented live can subsequently be viewed on replay for 7 days. Recordings of past seasons' productions are available for unlimited viewing as part of the subscription.
Why POP ?
In recent years, the Paris Opera has intensified the broadcasting of recordings of its opera and choreographic performances in order to reach a large audience outside its theaters. This digital offer has notably played an essential role during the COVID crisis to maintain the link with the audience. In December 2020, the Opera launched the platform l'Opéra chez soi, which offered broadcasts of operas, ballets or concerts, and, more rarely, live performances. It operated according to a mixed model (free content and pay-per-view content). More than 1 million videos viewed, 1.6 million visits, nearly 35,000 subscribers, 30,000 videos rented... Much more than a simple alternative to the closure of performance venues, the Paris Opera's proposal has established itself as a new channel for its services and strengthened the House's presence in the digital world.
On the strength of this success, the Paris Opera is now taking a new step to improve access to its productions via an ambitious project. To do this, the institution will rely on :
- A platform developed by the Paris Opera whose brand name, with its international potential, is clearly visible not only in France, but also in Europe, America and Asia;
- A powerful and innovative platform reflecting the House's personality and the values of excellence built up over its 350-year history;
- A platform with constantly enriched tailor-made editorial content, promoting creators' work while reaching out to the public with a simple and attractive subscription formula...
POP reaches out to the public
Just as the Palais Garnier and the Opéra Bastille have such distinctive architecture and personalities, POP's programme will be diversified and its repertoire enriched each month with new recordings thanks to live broadcasts. From pillars of the opera repertoire such as Mozart's The Magic Flute, to rarities such as Rimsky-Korsakov's The Snow Maiden, from great classical ballets such as Swan Lake choreographed by Nureyev, to contemporary creations such as Crystal Pite's Body and Soul, the diversity of the Paris Opera's programming will be available on POP to meet all tastes and desires.
In addition, the platform will guide those who wish to go backstage by offering exclusive content: backstage documentaries, artist interviews and master classes. A meeting place for some, an open door to explore a new universe for others, POP is an accessible, immersive and entertaining platform. It has all the ingredients to appeal and convince:
- Opera and/or ballet connoisseurs and enthusiasts, loyal to the Paris Opera's theatres, will be able to use POP to see performances, favourite arias or “pas de deux” over and over again, and experience new ways of exploring a work.
- Geographically remote national spectators will have optimal access to creations and will be able to follow the live performances offered each month, as will audiences who are physically and financially unable to attend.
- Novice audiences, often younger and more familiar with digital cultural content such as streaming, for whom POP will offer specific educational content.
- International audiences, particularly North American and Asian, who in recent years have shown regular interest in the Paris Opera's online performances.