Opéra – Université
Since 1995, Opera-University aims at making students from every higher education system possible discover a unique place, vibrating with emotions, brainstorming and stories – enabling them to share the passion and commitment of the people who devote themselves to music, singing, and dancing. We want to trigger their curiosity so that they can grasp the entire creation process of a lyrical or chorographical work as well as the aesthetical stakes.
We therefore offer a comprehensive range of programs that are ideally combined around educational projects :
- Group visits of both the Opéra Bastille and the Palais Garnier
- Discovery courses around a specific show
- Meetings with key participants involved in the life of the Paris Opera
- Round table conferences and lectures where experts shed some light on a current production
Such activities can be tailored for groups of 20 to 40 students, who may come in the frame of a particular course of study or within a student association. We typically suggest the following sequence of events :
Before you arrive – Prepare your coming during classes : Opera-University provides many resources, including special booklets, reviews of the press and other irreplaceable tools to get a first glance at a show. Again, we try to fit your needs as close as possible.
Inside the Paris Opera – Visit the theater / Meet the technical teams and the administrative staff members / Listen to the artists / Access a rehearsal. These encounters are prepared along with professionals according to the students’ academic project. We highlight the privileged opportunity this represents for students, and call their attention to the many different steps of the work a single performance demands.
Back home – Find us back on the Internet : feel free to express what you got out of your experience, gather some documentation, and check back for more news !
Aside of these full-length programs, the Paris Opera also offers :
- Seats at special youth discount rate (opera : 25€, ballet : 15€, concert : 10€) and unique access conditions to the shows.
- Open events : introduction sessions to opera and ballet, orchestral works explained by the conductors themselves, debates around programming highlights, starring artists or thinkers.